: Richard Harrington's Blog
: How My iPhone Saves My Time-lapse Shoots
I have an app for my iPhone and iPad that saves my bacon time after time.
I pressent to you, the essential and indispensible Sun Seeker: 3D Augmented Reality Viewer By ozPDA
You see, I often find it difficult to know exactly where the sun is going to be when shooting time-lapse. When will it rise and even more importantly… WHERE!?!
This app does several things that let you know a lot of detail about the sun and its position.
1. You can use the GPS and magnetometer to find your location and determine sun data based on your position.
2. You can see a compass view that shows solar position, angle, and elevation for both day & night.
3. A map shows you elevation information for each hour in the day.
4. You can see details about sunrise, sunset, dusk, and twilight
5. You can compensate for time shift and enter a future date to use the app while scouting but see into the future
But the COOLEST feature is by far is the 3D Augmented reality view. You can open the camera on your iPhone or iPad and actually see the horizon with an interactive display. You’ll see a helpful arrow to shot you where the sun is (even if its hidden). You also get a rich overlay which shows you where the sun is moving with times called out. This makes it much easier to frame your shots for time-lapse as well as now where and when the sun will rise or set.
The App sells for $5.99, but is an absolute steal. This hands down makes my time-lapse shooting better as I know how to frame my shots as well as when I need to be in position. Check out the app here to buy or read more reviews. It is currently available for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, an iPad.
For more posts on Time-lapse – visit Triple Exposure – www.3exposure.com