: Richard Harrington's Blog
: Render and Email in After Effects
After Effects supports scripts which can automate complex tasks. One of those scripts can actually render a file then email you upon completion. If you’re a tech geek, the gears in your head are already spinning. Just think, the leash has been cut! You are free to leave and relax while your machine churns away.
- Open up your General Preferences and be sure that the Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access Network box is checked.
- Add your files to the Render Queue like normal.
- Choose File > Run Script > render_and_email.jsx, you will now be prompted for your email settings.
- Enter server smtp address: such as mail.mac.com, click OK
- Enter the reply to address: such as the email you want to use to send the message.
- If your server required log-in (most do), click YES and enter your ID and password. Click OK.
- Enter the recipients email address. Click OK
- An email with the subject AE Render complete will be sent when the queue is finished.
How cool is that?
If you have an iPhone... you can also checkout apps like LogMeIn and iTeleport to actually view (and control) your screen from your mobile device. I've actually set up rendered files and sent them via YouSendIt to clients remotely.
Into AE? Be sure to check out two new books – Photoshop for Video (Fourth Edition) and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques