: Richard Harrington's Blog
: The Obligation of Being a Professional Communicator
I don’t usually do this on my blog, but I am stepping onto my soapbox. I am not going to talk about the causes of violence, constitutional amendments or civil rights. I have my feelings about all of those, but this is not the place.
What I am going to talk about is the obligation
that I share with many others... that of being a professional communicator
. I studied journalism and worked in the field for many years. I left in part because I became frustrated with the path that it was on (and have since become even more frustrated). Journalism is about reporting and discovering the truth, not spewing opinions and repeating the same images repeatedly until they imprint upon the brain.
Many of you reading my blog have the knowledge to create. Perhaps it’s graphics, photos, or videos. You know how to tell a story and show meaning. I challenge you to do so for something that matters
Right now we have a world that is racing towards ignorance. In the last few weeks I have seen the following acts occur.
- A sensationalized story milking an act of random kindness between a homeless man and a police officer. Where is the social justice of staffing and supporting shelters for those who’ve lost the path to self-sufficiency?
- A newspaper running a photo and story of a man pushed to his death on a train platform. Nothing was to be gained by running the photo except pure profit.
- Politically chest puffing over a country that continues to plummet towards greater financial instability.
- The refusal to pass a UN proclamation protecting the rights of those with disabilities.
- A rush to dissect and blame the horrible deaths of school children and teachers. Everyone offered up solutions and things to blame. So few mourned or took time to experience grief.
Here is my challenge to you. Start showing the world what type of place it can be
. Document the good works that happen in your world. Showcase the causes and people that need volunteers and money. Give of your time to help others, but most importantly your talents. Help spread the word through the power of photos, videos, writing, and viviid imagery.
You have talent.... Please start making a difference with it. Choose clients wisely, donate your time and skill where you can. Think before you repost something rooted in hate. The ability for humans to show kindness and compassion still exists.I know we can be better... I know I can be better.
Please let’s start working together to make the world better.
Use the comments below to offer stories you know of or causes that can use help.
Here are a few groups that I’ve interacted with that make a difference. You can get involved with them or another.
If you need to find other causes, this site is good at understanding charities and their efficiency in getting their work done.